The property was first purchased by a Mr Wrightson in 1903 who bought 70 acres of what was considered useless land. He had built by C E Daniell, a very fine country residence. By 1906 he had sold the property on to Mr Stonewig who four years earlier had purchased Poro Poro a large 3760 acre station 16 miles from Masterton. Stonewig transferred his stud flock of South Downes that originated from Stuckey of TeRangitumau to Waipipi using 150 acres of the now 300 acres for the flock and 150 for the crops of rape, oats and turnips for feed. Probably due to the poor nature of the land he did not stay long. By 1909 after having made an addition of a governess’s nursery wing to the homestead, Waipipi was sold to Oliver Bunny who used it as a finishing unit. Around 1924-28 with the introduction of Superphosphate and the sowing of Mt Barker subterranean clover, these greatly enhanced the productivity of the rather poor type soil as the moisture holding and fertility increased.
Three generations of the Bunny family have now farmed the property. Around 1980 it was split between brothers Dick and Joe Bunny, with the homestead and 125 acres going to Dick. Under Dick’s son Paul it grew up to 180 acres.
1993 saw the first planting of what is now 20 acres of grapes. As it has now been established that the soil and area are ideally suited to grape growing and hence wine production, with well over 100 acres now having been planted in the Opaki district.
In 2012 Waipipi homestead and vineyard was sold to Daniel Morton and Rachel Dillimore who have recently replanted the vineyard in Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir.
Please verify your age